Social care for adults

A number of social care services are available for adults with complex disabilities. The type of support you can access depends on your needs, your condition, or the severity of your disability.

Your right to a social care assessment

Local authorities must undertake an assessment for any adult who may have care or support needs.

They must also undertake a transition assessment for a young person who may need support after the age of 18.

Eligible needs

The assessment will determine whether you have ‘eligible needs’ for social care support.  You will be eligible for social care if:

  • Your needs are caused by a physical or mental impairment or illness.
  • Your needs stop you from being able to achieve to or more ‘specified outcomes’.
  • There is a significant impact on your well-being as a result of your needs.

The specified outcomes are:

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition.
  • Maintaining personal hygiene.
  • Managing toilet needs.
  • Being appropriately clothed.
  • Being able to make use of the home safely.
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment.
  • Developing and maintaining family and personal relationships.
  • Accessing or engaging in work, training, education or volunteering.
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in your community.
  • Carrying out caring responsibilities for a child.

What social care assessment should identify

A social care assessment should identify:

  • Your care and support needs.
  • The outcomes you are looking to achieve to maintain or improve your wellbeing.
  • How care and support might help you to achieve these outcomes.
  • Whether or not you might benefit from certain services, for example learning new communication or mobility skills.

To request an assessment for social care, you should contact your local authority.

Care and support planning

Once you have been assessed, and the local authority has decided which of your needs are eligible, a care and support plan will be drawn up. This plan should set out what your needs are and the cost of providing for them.

The plan should be a collaborative effort between yourself, your carer (if you have one), and social services.

If you disagree with any part of the care and support plan, you should contact social services and explain what you disagree with.

Who pays for your care and support

Find out about the different ways your care and support can be paid for

The Deafblind Guidance

If you are seeking a social care assessment and you are a child or adult who is deafblind, you have additional legal rights under The Deafblind Guidance.

Learn more about The Deafblind Guidance.