Find out more
Volunteers help make Sense Holidays unforgettable
Every summer, adults and children with complex disabilities pack their bags for action-packed Sense Holidays around the UK.
These holidays are a chance to try something new and make friends and memories that will last a lifetime. Our holiday-makers might have a go at dancing, horse riding or surfing – the possibilities are endless!
It’s also a chance for families and carers to have a break from supporting their loved ones for a week, safe in the knowledge that they’re having fun.
We need positive, empathetic volunteers to make these holidays happen. If that sounds like you, why not fill in an application form? We can’t wait to hear from you.
What Sense Holidays volunteers do
Many of our Sense Holidays volunteers are partnered up with one of our holiday-makers. We’ll always try to match you with someone you can communicate with, and who has similar interests to you. Other volunteers work with the whole group.
You’ll support the holiday-makers to take part in the group activities. This could include anything from canoeing to rock climbing!
You’ll also give them a hand with generally getting around, communicating with others in the group and personal care.
Plus, our volunteers help out with cooking, cleaning, driving and other aspects of running a safe group holiday.
What we’ll do for you
Sign up now to learn more from our fantastic Holidays team.
Before you start your volunteering role, we’ll make sure you’ve had the training you need to feel confident. This will be delivered online and in person.
While you’re volunteering with us on a Sense Holiday, you’ll get:
- Free accommodation.
- Free food and drink.
- Activities with the holiday-makers and other volunteers.
- Reimbursement of any expenses, such as travel.
Watching the holidaymakers become more confident and making friends was really special, but hearing how important the break is for families has kept me coming back year after year.Jack, Sense Holidays volunteer
Who can apply
Anyone over 18 can apply and we welcome caring, enthusiastic people from all backgrounds.
While we encourage everyone to apply, we’re also always keen to hear from people who have experience with any of the following.
- Have some experience in a caring role, or supporting people with complex needs or challenging behaviours.
- British Sign Language (BSL), and/or other communication methods like Makaton.
- Working with mobility needs.
- Supporting autistic people and/or people with learning disabilities.
Sense Holidays 2022 locations and dates
Thinking of applying? These are the weeks we’ll need volunteers in 2022!
Friday 15 July – Friday 22 July
Wednesday 20 July – Wednesday 27 July
Friday 29 July – Friday 5 August
Friday 5 August – Friday 12 August
Saturday 13 August – Saturday 20 August
Sunday 14 August – Sunday 21 August
Friday 19 August – Friday 26 August
Saturday 27 August – Saturday 3 September
Friday 30 September – Friday 7 October
How to apply to be a Sense Holidays volunteer
- Fill in the application form.
- If you’re a good fit, we’ll invite you to an informal virtual interview.
- Once you’ve been accepted, we’ll need two references and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check from you.
- Then, we’ll send you all the details of the training you’ll need to do.
- Finally, we’ll allocate you to a holiday – time to get your sun cream on!