Paying for support for disabled children

This page gives an overview of the financial support available to parents or carers of disabled children and useful links to find out more.

Sense is here for you at every stage of life

We support people with complex disabilities of all ages.

From our free play sessions for children under eight, to our adult residential care services, we’re with disabled people and their families every step of the way.

Get in touch with our team to find out how we could support you.

Benefits and help with money

If you’re the parent or carer of a disabled child, there are several ways you may be able to get help with the extra costs.

These include: 

  • Disability Living Allowance (for children under 16).
  • Personal Independence Payment (for children over 16).
  • Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit.
  • Help with getting about.
  • Help with housing costs.
  • Carer’s Allowance.

It can be confusing to find out what you may be entitled to and how to claim for the different benefits. 

Where you can find out more – help if you have a disabled child has an overview of the help that’s available to you if you have a disabled child. This includes information about childcare, education, motability scheme and home adaptations.

Local offer

Every authority in England must publish the services they provide for disabled children and young people and their families. This is known as ‘the local offer’. It can also provide information on local organisations that can support you with advice for your disabled child, including information about paying for support. 

Find your local council.


Turn2Us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. 

They have a benefits calculator tool and a grant search to help find organisations that provide goods or grants when you need it.


Contact provides advice and information for families raising a child with additional needs including benefits, rights and education. They have a listening ear service, workshops and training and run special projects and programmes across the UK. 

Working Families

Working Families is an independent charity offering free advice on employment rights for parents and carers and in-work benefits for families. They have a guide to benefits for disabled children.

Money Helper

MoneyHelper brings together the support and services of three government-backed financial guidance providers: the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise. It includes information about disability benefits and entitlements for children.

Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. You can apply for a grant to buy sensory toys, equipment, days out and items for the home to support your disabled or seriously ill child. 

This content was last reviewed in April 2022. We’ll review it again next year.