Grants for disabled people

This page gives information about grants that you may be able to apply for to help with your costs of living, if you’re disabled. 

It includes: 

Government disability grant

Disabled Facilities Grant

What is the Disabled Facilities Grant? 

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a home improvement grant for disabled people from the government. It’s available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

If you’re disabled, you could get a grant from your council to make necessary changes to your home, for example to: 

  • Widen doors and install ramps. 
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities, for example, stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom. 
  • Provide a suitable heating system. 
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use. 

Who can get a Disabled Facilities Grant? 

You can apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant if you are disabled, or if you live with someone who is. 

You, or the disabled person you live with, must: 

  • Own the property or be a tenant. 
  • Intend to live in the property during the grant period (currently five years). 

You could also apply if you’re a landlord to a disabled tenant. 

You have to be able to show your council that the work you want to carry out is necessary and reasonable. 

Find out about applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant in England and Wales, or how to apply in Northern Ireland.

Charities offering disability grants

Family Fund grants

What is Family Fund? 

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. 

Who can get a Family Fund grant? 

Family Fund offers grants to families of disabled or seriously young people under 17. You must live in the UK and be able to prove that you receive certain benefits.  

You can apply for a grant to buy sensory toys, equipment, days out and items for the home to support your disabled or seriously ill child. 

Check out the full eligibility criteria for Family Fund grants.

Find out how to apply for a Family Fund grant depending on where you live in the UK.

RNIB grants

What is the RNIB? 

RNIB stands for Royal National Institute of Blind People. It is a national charity for people with sight loss. 

Who can get an RNIB grant? 

RNIB offers offer grants to registered blind or partially sighted people. These grants can be used to buy a wide range of useful technologies that can help you live independently. 

You should also live in the UK and be receiving a means-tested benefit. 

Plus, you must have been refused funding from your local authority for the items you need.

Read the full eligibility criteria for RNIB grants.

Visit the RNIB website to find out more about applying for a grant.

Tools to help you find a disability grant

Disability Grants

The charity Disability Grants provides a guide to grants for people with disabilities. 


Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial need get access to benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. 

Search for grants and other kinds of help. 

This content was last reviewed in July 2022. We’ll review it again next year.