Our amazing team of volunteers help us run over 100 shops across England and Wales.
Every donated item that you sort, prepare and sell helps to raise vital funds to support us in our mission to make sure no one, no matter how complex their disabilities, is isolated, left out, or unable to fulfil their potential. Our shops are at the heart of local communities – sharing the work of Sense, and helping to secure support for our life changing work.
We’re looking for volunteers who are:
- Reliable and friendly
- Respectful of others and their diversity
- Passionate about customer service
- Interested in learning about and supporting the work of Sense
Volunteering in one of our Sense Shops will involve a variety of tasks that you can get involved with. These include:
- Welcoming and assisting customers, providing great customer service and a fantastic shopping experience
- Receiving donated goods from members of the public
- Sorting, steaming, tagging and preparing donated goods for sale
- Creating eye catching window and in-shop displays
- Keeping the shop floor well stocked, tidy, clean and organised
- Processing sales and serving on the till
- Promoting Gift Aid and other Sense fundraising initiatives
- Acting as an ambassador for Sense; promoting the shop and Sense in your local community
- Supporting with the recruitment and training of new volunteers
- Following new health, safety and social distancing measures to ensure the safety of everyone
We believe that volunteers enable us to bring people together and provide opportunities for people with complex disabilities to communicate and experience the world. This is why it is important to us that our volunteers feel supported and rewarded. Here is what we can offer you as a volunteer:
- A full induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Shop Manager to make sure you feel confident in your role
- Support to develop new skills, knowledge and experience, in particular of a retail environment, but also skills such as teamwork, customer service, communication and using your initiative
- A reference for other paid or voluntary work (available on request)
- The opportunity to share your existing skills and experience to benefit others
- The chance to meet new people from a wide range of backgrounds and to join a passionate and committed team
- The opportunity to make an invaluable contribution to Sense by raising vital income and raising the profile of Sense in your local community; changing the lives of those who have complex disabilities and are deafblind.
For everyone living with complex disabilities. For everyone who is deafblind. Sense is here to offer personalised support to help people communicate and experience the world. We believe that no one, no matter how complex their disabilities, should be isolated, left out, or unable to fulfil their potential. Our experts offer support that’s tailored to the individual needs of each person, whether that’s at our centres, through our holidays and short breaks, or in people’s own homes. In addition to practical support, we also provide information to families, and campaign for the rights of people with complex disabilities to take part in life.
We recommend reading these files to support your application. These files are in PDF format, please get in touch with the team on
[email protected] if you require these in a different format.