Help with cost of TV licences

You need a TV Licence to use any television-receiving equipment to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV, including programmes on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, cable and satellite television, and to watch any programme on the BBC iPlayer, including live, catch up and on demand programmes.

Television-receiving equipment includes TV sets, set-top boxes, DVD recorders, video recorders, computers and laptops, mobile phones or other battery-operated devices and games consoles.

You don't need a television licence if a TV set cannot receive TV programmes and is used only for CCTV, watching pre-recorded videos or DVDs, as a computer monitor or to play computer games.

Whilst you now need a TV licence to watch any programme on the BBC iPlayer, you don't need a TV licence if you only ever watch catch-up services through other streaming services such as ITV Hub or All 4, Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Are there any exemptions or concessionary rates?

You may be entitled to a reduced rate if you are:
(a) Over 75 years old
You’re entitled to a free over-75 TV Licence when you turn 75. If you‘re 74, you can apply for a short-term licence to cover you up to your 75th birthday

(b) Blind or severely visually impaired
You’re entitled to a 50 per cent reduction in your TV Licence fee, if you’re certified as either blind or severely sight impaired.

(c) Living in a care home or sheltered accommodation
Residents may qualify for a discounted TV Licence fee of £7.50. Residents, staff and residents’ families all need a separate licence for their own living area.

How do I apply for exemptions or concessionary rates?

Aged 75 and over
You can apply online for a free 75 or over TV Licence by filling in the form online at or by calling 0300 790 6130.

You can also write to request details and a paper copy application form from:

Concessionary Licensing Centre
TV Licensing
BS98 1TL

To apply, you will need your National Insurance number or a recognised proof of age document such as a passport, UK birth certificate, UK driving licence or national identity card and address details. You will also need to provide details about your current TV licence or renewal notice.

Certified blind or severely visually impaired:
If you are certified as blind or severely visually impaired, you need to provide the TV Licensing Authority with a photocopy of one of the following documents, to confirm that you’re certified as either blind or severely sight impaired:

  • A copy of the certificate or document issued by or on behalf of your local authority. In Northern Ireland this would be the Health and Social Service Trust. In the Isle of Man it would be the Department of Health and Social Security.
  • A copy of the certificate from your ophthalmologist

You won’t need to provide this information again when you renew your TV Licence. You should fill out an application form online or by calling 0300 790 6117. You can also write to the below address to request a hard copy form. Send your completed form, cheque payment and a photocopy of your local authority document or ophthalmologist’s certificate to:

Blind Concession Group
TV Licensing
DL98 1TL

You should include either your licence renewal notice or TV Licence number if you have a current TV Licence.

Care homes or sheltered accommodation:
If you are living in a care home or sheltered accommodation, speak to your care home managers to find out if your accommodation qualifies. They are responsible for arranging this type of licence.

General information about TV Licensing

If you want to talk to somebody about TV Licensing queries, contact 0300 790 6144 or visit their website at

(Prices correct as of November 2016)

First published: Friday 26 June 2015
Updated: Thursday 16 February 2017