Dereham Resource Centre
Dereham Resource Centre is part of Sense College and a day service for people with dual or single sensory impairment with additional learning disabilities, behavioural needs, autism or physical disability.
The centre is situated on the outskirts of Dereham, Norfolk in a bright purpose built building.
We provide specialised individual programmes of both education and therapeutic learning pathways. Every learner has an individual learning plan which is tailored to meet their needs.
We treat every learner as an individual and assist them in fulfilling their potential. We achieve this by:
- Encouraging people's individual skills
- Setting up individual timetables/schedules
- Appointing a mentor for each learner
- Regular reviews of learners' progress
- Personalised individual learning programmes
- Supporting learners to making choices and develop autonomy
- Encouraging participation in their local community
- Providing a health assessment and care plan to ensure the learner's health and welfare is monitored and supported
Facilities and equipment
The centre is designed to be multi-sensory and meet the particular needs of deafblind learners to enhance their learning and life experiences.
As a college we ensure that our learners have all the necessary equipment and aids to ensure they can progress and develop their autonomy. This ranges from specialist mobility, moving and handling equipment to technical communication and assistive aids.
Staff are trained to work with individuals with a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) and associated learning disabilities. Strategies that are used to assist clients to be independent in their learning and development include:
- TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication Handicapped Children) techniques
- Intensive interaction
- Behaviour management techniques
- PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System)
- Total communication approach (including British Sign Language, Sign Supported English, deafblind manual and Braille)
Some examples of lessons available include:
- Arts & crafts
- Rebound therapy using a trampoline
- Multi-sensory therapies
- Horse riding
- Life skills
Dereham Resource Centre
32 Bertie Ward Way
Rash’s Green Industrial Estate
Norfolk NR19 1TE
Tel: 01362 854 153
For further details please contact Jo or Lisa.
Tel: 01733 425 053
Alternatively, please contact the Centre's Education Service Manager, Tessa Wallis, on 01362 854 153 or at email@example.com
First published: Monday 5 August 2013
Updated: Tuesday 22 November 2016