Child Tax Credit

What is Child Tax Credit?

Child Tax Credit (CTC) is paid to people who are responsible for at least one child whether or not they are working.

You can claim Child Tax Credit  for each child you are responsible for. If you live with someone as a couple, you need to make a claim for Child Tax Credit as a couple.

Child Tax Credit is paid directly to you. You can chose to have it paid either weekly or monthly.

Who can claim Child Tax Credit?

In order to claim Child Tax Credit you must:

(a) Be responsible for a child or qualifying young person, and

(b) Be aged 16 or over, and

(c) Have the right to reside, be ordinarily resident in the UK and meet the immigration conditions

A child is anyone under the age of 16. A qualifying young person is a person aged 16 – 20 and in full time non advanced education or approved training.

Non advanced education includes courses up to and including GCSEs, A-Levels, Scottish highers, advance highers and NVQ/SVQ level 1–3. University degrees, NVQ/SVQ level 4 and diplomas would be considered as advanced courses and this would prohibit the award of Child Tax Credit.

Approved training includes:

  • Foundation Learning or Access to Apprenticeships
  • Skillbuild, Skillbuild+ Traineeships or Foundation Apprenticeships
  • Get Ready for Work
  • Jobskills, Training for Success and Programme Led Apprenticeships

The amount you get is based on your income. As a rough guide, you may get an award of Child Tax Credit if you have:

  • One child and a household income of up to about £26,000
  • Two children and a household income of up to about £32,200

These figures are guides only, and you may still qualify for CTC if you have a household income higher than these figures.

What are the rates of Child Tax Credit?

Child Tax Credit is made up of two elements:

1. The family element

All claimants who are eligible for CTC will be entitled to the family element.

2. The child element

This element is paid for each child or qualifying young person

There are additional premiums paid as part of your Child Tax Credit if your child is disabled or severely disabled.

You will be awarded the disabled child premium if your child receives Disability Living Allowance.

You will be awarded the severely disabled child premium if your child receives the highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance.

The amount of Child Tax Credit you are paid will depend on your personal circumstances.

HMRC will take into account your family income, the number of children or qualifying young people in your family, their ages and whether any of them are disabled.

If you are employed, HMRC will also take into account the amount of hours you work and any money you spend on childcare.

The maximum amount of Child Tax Credit you can be awarded is as follows:

  • Family element: £545 per year
  • Child element: £2780
  • Disabled child element: £3140
  • Severely disabled child element: £1275

Who administers Child Tax Credit?

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) administer Child Tax Credit.

How do I claim Child Tax Credit?

To make a claim for Child Tax Credit you need to phone the HMRC Tax Credits Helpline on 0345 300 3900 (textphone 0345 300 3909) and request an application form.

This form is called TC600.

This is the same form used to claim Working Tax Credit, and you should fill out all of the information on the form incase you are also entitled to Working Tax Credit.

Problems with Child Tax Credit

If you receive a decision you are unhappy with you can ask HMRC to explain their decision. You can also contact the Sense Information and Advice Team for assistance. 

Where can I go for help?

If you:

  • would like to find out more about deafblindness or the services for deafblind people in your area
  • require information in alternative formats including braille, large print or audio
  • would like this fact sheet to be translated into your first language

please contact Sense’s Information & Advice Service:

Tel: 0300 330 9256 or 020 7520 0972

Textphone: 0300 330 9256 or 020 7520 0972

Fax: 0300 330 9251


If you have comments or suggestions about this information, we’d love to hear from you.

Please email

First published: Thursday 16 January 2014
Updated: Wednesday 17 August 2016