There is a range of welfare benefits available for people who are deafblind. Below are details of the main benefits that deafblind people access, in England and Wales.

You can find out more about the full range of benefits available by visiting the Directgov website for more information.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free non means-tested benefit for disabled people who are aged over 65 years and who need help in looking after themselves.

For further information visit our Attendance Allowance page

Disability Living Allowance & Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is designed to meet the extra cost of having a disability. New DLA claims can only be made for:

  • Children under the age of 16
  • Those born after 8 April 1948 who make a claim in the same year that they stopped receiving DLA

No new applications for DLA can be made for those between the ages of 16- 65.

DLA is being phased out and replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people with a disability who are aged between 16 – 65, whether they are in work or not.

People are obliged to tell the DWP of any changes of circumstances, for example, if their condition worsens. The change of circumstances will trigger an invitation to apply for PIP. If they do not apply for PIP then their DLA will automatically end and they will no longer receive a disability benefit.

Those who are currently receiving DLA will receive a letter from the DWP telling them when their DLA payments are due to stop and inviting them to apply for PIP. They must apply for PIP before the deadline stated in the letter to ensure that there is no break in their entitlement to a disability benefit.  Those who are currently over 65 and receiving DLA will also be invited to apply for PIP.

See our PIP page for more information.

Employment Support Allowance

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit for people who are unable to work due to an illness or disability.

Incapacity Benefit (IB), Income Support (claimed because of a disability) and Severe Disability Allowance are being replaced by Employment and Support Allowance. Anyone still receiving these benefits will be reassessed for ESA.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work and under State Pension Age. At the moment only single people in England, Wales and Scotland making new claims for a means tested benefit or couples making a new claim for means tested benefits who live in certain areas are eligible for UC.

The benefits cap

The benefits cap is a cap on the total amount of certain benefits that you can receive.

It only affects working age claimants who are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. You are exempt from the cap if you are receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Once you have received your form please read the benefits pages and our factsheets on filling in benefits forms in the first instance.  If you still have any specific  questions relating to filling in your form, please contact the Information and Advice team who will be able to signpost to you local support that may be available.

For help and advice, contact the Sense Information and Advice Service.

First published: Tuesday 3 April 2012
Updated: Wednesday 30 November 2016