Go on a hunt for natural treasures like stones, shells, leaves or feathers to gather the materials needed for this personalised nature mobile, which can be hung up outside or in your own space.
This guide is part of our Sense Arts, Sport & Wellbeing programme. This activity can be done at a time that suits you, either in your own space or in an educational setting.
Who is this for?
This is a crafting activity for people who are deafblind or have complex disabilities.
Why does this make a difference?
This is a creative, sensory activity that helps people use their senses to connect with their surroundings by engaging with nature, and supports independent choice and self-expression.
How to do this activity
What you’ll need
- Sticks, to hang things from
- Natural objects like stones, shells, feathers, leaves and flowers.
Spend some time exploring the sensory nature of the treasures you’ve collected, thinking about how they feel to touch, or to smell.
Cut your string into different lengths, making sure the pieces are long enough to both tie to the sticks and have something attached to them at the other end. Tie or tape your natural treasures to your pieces of string.
and then lay them on a surface so you can decide what order you want to hang them in.
Tie your strings to your stick hanger, hang up and admire!
- Have more fun with colours by painting the stick different colours
- Mix it up by using other treasures with your natural treasures
- On your next day out, make one as a memento with objects you collected on the day