These homemade bundles use oats, dried flowers and essential oils to create a soothing, sensory bath time experience.
Or create a home foot spa, and place them in a flat bottomed bowl for a luxurious foot soak! Be mindful of allergies – the oats can be omitted if needed.
This guide is part of our Sense Arts, Sport & Wellbeing programme. This activity can be done at a time that suits you, either in your own space or in an educational setting.
Who is this for?
This is a wellbeing activity for people who are deafblind or have complex disabilities and can be enjoyed by anyone.
Why does this make a difference?
This is a sensory activity that promotes wellbeing and relaxation, helping people use their senses to connect with their surroundings by exploring touch and smell.
How to do this activity
What you’ll need
A combination of the following:
- A handful of oats
- Dried flowers (such as lavender, rose or camomile)
- Dried rosemary (or other calming herbs), or a few drops of essential oils like rosemary or lavender – whatever you have easy access
- A square of fabric roughly 15x15cm
- Remember to check for allergies, and adjust as necessary. Oats are excellent for calming irritated skin but could be omitted if desired.
- The more the bundle soaks in the warm water, the more the scent and goodness from the oats is released into the water.
- If you are in the bath, you can feel free to rub it on your skin like a kind of sponge
- Discard contents after use, rinse and wash fabric square to use again.